Knowing how to fix broken ceramic pieces around the home will save you time and money. All it takes are the proper steps and products and you’ll be able to make that broken ceramic figurine look as good as new!
If you’ve made it a habit to throw away broken, cracked, and chipped ceramic dishes, figurines, and decorative pieces in the past, it’s time to think again. You can learn how to repair ceramics very quickly. Simply follow these steps:
- Make sure that the item you are repairing is clean and dry.
- Gather up all the repair materials you will need. These should include the correct type of ceramic glue, mild soap and water, and a clean dry cloth.
- Apply the glue to each of the pieces that will be adhered together, only using the minimum amount suggested on the instruction label. By picking a quick-drying glue, you won’t need to use clamps, nor hold the pieces together for long.
- Allow ample time for the item to dry. Leave it someplace where it can sit flat and won’t be disturbed.
Make sure you pay close attention to the drying/curing time of the adhesive so you don’t risk the integrity of the repair. Touching and moving it too soon could result in an inferior bond.
Wondering how to fix a ceramic mug that has a broken handle, a chipped rim, or has even cracked right in half? Here are a few tips and tricks.
- If the mug has simply cracked in half or the handle has fallen off, you can follow the steps above. Ensure the mug is clean and dry, apply the right type of glue, and allow it plenty of time to dry.
- If the mug is chipped, the procedure is a bit different. First, you want to be sure you’ve got all the pieces and they fit back together. Then you can carefully and slowly glue the chips back to their original positions. If you are missing pieces, you may need to use the glue to build up the area a bit and then file off the excess once it dries.
How to fix ceramics? Well, first and foremost: make sure you pick the right glue.
Choosing a product that will provide strong bonds, is durable and long-lasting, dries clear, and dries quickly will probably be on your priority list.
With that in mind, we suggest you use 100% Glue Repair Gel by LePage. This premium adhesive is classified as a multi-purpose glue offering an incredibly strong bond. It’s even dishwasher safe, making it ideal for fixing broken ceramic plates and cracked ceramic pottery. Better yet, it is rated safe for items that hold hot liquids, so you know your coffee break won’t end in disaster!
If you’re fixing a collectable ceramic figurine, then Super Glue Ultra Liquid Control is a great option. Its side squeeze design gives you maximum control over those delicate repairs and, to make life even easier, this glue doesn’t require clamping and dries clear. Perfect for your decorative figurines on display!