Do you have a cracked or broken vase? Fear not, with the right ceramic glue you can repair that precious heirloom and have it back to normal in no time! Check out our guide on how to choose (and use) the best adhesive for ceramics.
Ceramic glue and you: Everything you need to know
Ceramics are all around us. They often serve a unique purpose and are known for their extreme strength and durability. Great examples are automotive brakes, industrial kilns, and even the exterior of space shuttles!
Of course, ceramics are also found in more delicate items such as lamps, vases, tableware, and pots. Luckily for us, there is a ceramic glue that can help with cracks and brakes for all these items!
It can be a daunting task to sift through the vast selection of super glue products, each with their own claims. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind before purchasing a ceramic glue.
- You want an adhesive for ceramics that can also bond to a variety of surfaces like wood, plastic, metal, and glass.
- The glue needs to be able to handle porous surfaces. Without this key feature, your ceramics will simply absorb the adhesive, leaving you back where you started.
- If your broken item doesn’t fit back together perfectly, you may need to fill some gaps. The best glues for ceramics also have gap-filling capabilities.
- If your broken item is designed to hold food or drinks, you’ll need to use a ceramic glue that is designated as food safe.
Piecing your ceramic items back together is easier than you may think. Follow the steps below for best results.
- Dry fit all the pieces. Place all the pieces of the broken item back together, making sure you have all the parts.
- Add ceramic glue in a thin layer on both sides of the broken ceramic.
- Press the glued pieces back together and hold in place to secure the bond, as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Be careful not to move the pieces.
- Remove any excess or spilled glue once it has fully cured. Use a safety razor and gently scrape away the glue.
LePage Ultra Gel is specifically formulated with gap-filling capabilities and a flexibility that lasts a lifetime! Its wide range of applications make it a great choice for all your gluing needs.
For the toughest jobs, reach for LePage 100% Glue Repair Gel. This super glue uses the revolutionary FLEXTEC® formula for repairs that require higher viscosity and tremendous bond strength. It is resistant to extreme conditions from -50°C to 110°C, making it dishwasher safe!